Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It's Either Sink or Swim


I tried on swimsuits this week. Not because I really need one, but simply to motivate/torture myself. It worked. 

I think there are very few women who actually enjoy swimsuit shopping. Or even swimsuit wearing. If you are a woman who enjoys either of these things, the rest of us normal women hate you. 

However, swimsuit wearing is inescapable since some of our favorite summer activities require swimwear. As the rules of society apply, I've got to wear a swimsuit — unless I start vacationing at nude beaches, which isn't a bad idea. It seems to me all of the people you'd least like to see naked congregate at these places. There, I would be a centerfold. 

My discomfort with the whole swimsuit situation is deeply rooted in my younger years. I didn't wear a two-piece until I was a sophomore in college. Heck, it was a challenge to enter the pool without a T-shirt covering my one-piece swimsuit. This is what too many church camps can do to a person (Yes, I know. I'm fearfully and wonderfully made). Since then, I've disguised my discomfort with really cute cover-ups. One "oh, that's a cute cover-up" and people don't even realize you aren't showing your swimsuit. Yes, I really do think about these things. It's as strategic as changing into your gym uniform without any of the girls seeing your bra or panties (I can do this too). 

My friend recently e-mailed me a link to a funny Web site that dives into this topic with a smug sense of humor. This was a welcome relief. If you're like me and tried on a swimsuit already and hated every minute of it, this site is for you. 


Here's to daily three-mile runs and 1,000 calorie days.

4 comments:

Catherine Harper said...

Hahaha...that website is hilarious!

Stephanie Netherton said...

I know! My favorite part is in the string bikini category where it says the suit is perfect for "the overweight girl who drinks before noon and loves attention."

Oh so funny!

Kate said...

Remember, pear-shaped women should never, ever eat pears in public: very bad.


HAHAHA I laughed so hard at this!

Stephanie Netherton said...

I liked that one, too!