Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mind If I Get Mushy?

I came across an old blog post today. Dated 9.26.08, it said:

"It's time to take risks, face failure and rise above fear. It's time to try something new, take trips I've been putting off, make new friends, and open my heart and love as if there won't be an opportunity to do so tomorrow."

At the time those words were written, I was rock bottom and ready to claim responsibility for my life. I easily could have placed blame, but I was ready to let things go, dust off those bad experiences and start over.

There are several folds to this transformation — new job, new exercise routine (what I mean by that is an exercise routine at all), new friends, new house. But there's one part that's better than all of that stuff combined. The new guy. Ty's not really new to my life. We've been friends for about a year and a half now.

But in all that time, he played a big role in my life. When things were rough, he was the person I called. When I needed to move, he was the person I called. When I needed a friend, he was the person I called. And in that time, I was the person he called.

In my life experiences, trusting anyone with your heart is a huge risk. But Ty had always been there before, so I opened my heart again — at the time that was a miracle. But I'm so glad I did, because with Ty there's not much risk at all. He's a good man. I don't have a single worry. I never wonder where he is. He calls when he says he's going to. Some of you may think, "Well, duh. That's how relationships are supposed to be." But in my entire life, that's never been how relationships actually were.

It's good to look back and see I stuck to my word and did what I said I was going to do. I opened my heart and loved like there wouldn't be an opportunity to do so tomorrow. Even better, I look forward to each tomorrow with Ty.

6 comments:

Kate said...

You are right. Your life is completely different than it was six months ago. I'm glad that you are happy with the changes.

Stephanie Jordan said...

Thank God it's different! That stuff will wear you out. Sometimes I forget about all those bad things, which is good. But when I do remember, I only feel grateful for where I am now.

melissa said...

This blog ALMOST made me cry!! Dang you! I am so happy for you!

Lindsey said...

That is SO sweet!

Stephanie Jordan said...

Thanks Catherine. Wait, are you just saying that so I'll make that tortilla casserole again?

Mandy S said...

really...why'd ya have to go and make the pregnant lady cry!?! very sweet...i know ty's a great guy, but to know he's got a great girl makes me even happier!