Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wine Night? Why Not?


My friend Bevin drew this picture several months ago. For a little while, this is what we did several evenings of the week. We sat on someone's back patio, drank wine and dished our juiciest dirt. It was a great way to spend a fall evening and exactly what I needed at that time in my life. Lots of wine, good friends and the buzz wasn't bad either. 


Since then, Bevin has moved to south Louisiana. 

Carie endured cancer, chemotherapy and (best of all) recovery. 

Melissa planned her perfect beach wedding and got married about a month ago. 

Kristen and her husband moved to Houston and their now about 12 weeks pregnant. 

Kate changed jobs. 

Amanda moved to California and came back. 

Casey got married and changed job.

The list goes on. However, my point is that the memories stay the same. These were some of the best, funniest, most memorable nights for me. So good, in fact, that we took turns drawing crappy pictures about it. 

While I was running yesterday, I saw an older lady sitting on a bench in her yard with a glass of wine. There was old-timey jazz music blaring through the screen door of her kitchen, and she was tapping her hand on her thigh to the beat of the music. 

It made me smile. She was having such a great time, and I imagine some evenings she sits in the same spot with her own friends and does the same things we do. I can only hope when I'm her age, I'm doing the same thing. And loving it. 

8 comments:

Stephanie Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Jordan said...

yay! comment away!

Kate said...

Awww great post! I'm working on possibly adding some seating to my 10 x 12 slab of concrete so perhaps one day wine night can be at my humble abode!

Stephanie Jordan said...

We used to have excellent wine nights on your patio. It was a perfect space for our group of four. However, our circle has expanded greatly since those days.

Kate said...

This is true. However, over the course of the 3 years I've lived there, I've gone from 4 patio chairs, to 1. Drake was the latest victim of the sit and break chair. This is why I need to get something a little classier. No one wants to sit on that whiskey barrel.

Stephanie Jordan said...

No, I don't want to sit on a whiskey barrel, but I'd be happy to drink from one. You know, I have a great aunt named Beryl.

Unknown said...

Sign me up for a wine night! I'll bring my own chair if needed.

Stephanie Jordan said...

Just don't bring Marcus. He gets tipsy too easily!!