Monday, April 6, 2009

There's No Such Thing as a Love Seat


Saturday was Ty's birthday, so I thought why not spend the day furniture shopping. He recently decided to redo his bachelor pad to make it more gal (that's me) friendly. After gutting most of the bathroom Friday night, we spent Saturday perusing local stores in search of living room furniture. 


Like most men, Ty hates shopping. I once wrangled him into a Gap and with his limited patience for retail, the experience looked something like the 90s cable game show "Shop Til You Drop." Grab what you can, while you can. Frantic, I tell you. So after three stores, we end up at our final stop where we also found some great stuff that we really liked. We looked at fabric samples, weighed the color combinations, and after a little more than an hour we'd pieced together the room. 

My thinking: Ooh, let's get it (This is always my thinking).

Ty's thinking: I need to check the wall color, measure the room, measure the sofa, etc. 

My thinking: Who cares about the wall color. I love this furniture. We can make the walls match. Buy. Buy. Buy. Spend. Spend. Spend. 

Ty's thinking: Have you ever painted — not fun. Think. Think. Think. Save. Save. Save. 

Needless to say, we've yet to purchase the furniture we both loved. 

The experience took me back to what our friend Kenny told us a few months ago. When Kenny and his wife, Julia, were preparing to get married they also decided to fix up the home they would be living in. Kenny said it was the best marriage counseling they had — after working eight hours and painting until midnight your true colors come forth. 

I can attest. I've known Ty for nearly two years but take him shopping and you'll quickly see a new side. As Ty and I walked out of the last furniture store, he turned to me and said, "You're going to kill me aren't you?" 

I smiled at him and said, "I haven't decided. After all, it is your birthday." 

6 comments:

Kate said...

Seriously... yall should get the furniture and pay someone to paint. Solved!

Stephanie Netherton said...

I think the furniture matches just fine. But the thinking process for guys is so different than girls. Girls see something they love and get it. Guys want to analyze it from every single angle.

The problem is we're also redoing the bathroom and kitchen!

Mandy said...

ha!! yeah, good luck!! going furniture shopping w/my husband is like WW3...well, close. and painting!! we've done SO much of that together. he practically helped me paint every room in our old house while we were dating...that was interesting! he's quite opinionated and that's the tricky part...agreeing! kudos to you for getting Ty to do ANY of it!

Stephanie Netherton said...

Mandy, you're right. Getting him to shop is a miracle itself.

However we're pretty lucky. Shopping and catch phrase are the only two things that make us snippy!

Mandy said...

ha! yeah, that's lucky...only 2 snippy subjects is good!!

Stephanie Netherton said...

Well, so far!!